Books we need:
- Check out our carefully curated wishlist! It’s behind the button! Click the button!
- We can only accept paperback books. Unfortunately, prison restrictions will not allow us to send hardbacks inside. We cannot accept hardback books.
- Popular requests include Black history and literature, urban fiction, westerns, mysteries and thrillers, horror, sci-fi, and fantasy.
- Especially helpful are books on trades: starting your own business, automotive or home improvement, and resume writing or job searching.
- GED/Pre-GED study guides.
- How to draw, coloring books, sudoku or crossword puzzles, and various hobbies.
- Health, fitness, recovery, and addiction.
- Legal dictionaries or current books on criminal law.
- Books on LGBT culture and issues.
Books we don’t need:
- Please DO NOT bring us hardcovers or textbooks. They’re not allowed inside most prisons. They may end up in our trashcan, which makes us super sad. Please do not drop off hardback books and make more work for us to dispose of them.
- General fiction. The above genres are welcome, but we’re normally stocked up on general fiction. We are swamped in Oprah’s book club books.
- Books with wire spines, CDs, DVDs, or that are badly damaged. These will likely result in a returned package.
- Children’s books.
- Outdated books. GRE and MCAT study guides, legal books on tort law, AOL for Dummies, or pre-recession real estate books won’t be helpful to the people writing us.
- Encyclopedias. We can’t send these, and most are hardback anyway.
- Travel guides. These are banned in most prisons.
- Norton Anthologies of Literature. We get these all the time and nobody has ever once asked for one.
While all donations are appreciated, we unfortunately don’t have the space or time to process these types of contributions. We are all volunteers. Sorting through and disposing of useless books can take valuable time away from other tasks. If you have any doubts, feel free to email us with any questions.
How to Donate Books:
Paperback book donations can always be dropped off at any time, 24/7, on the carport shelves at our workspace. A photo is below showing the book drop location.
2523 George Nick Connor Drive
New Orleans, LA 70119.
Please do not send mail to this address.
If you can’t make it to our space, you can mail them to us. Media mail is cheapest for books. Our mailing address:
Louisiana Books 2 Prisoners
3157 Gentilly Blvd. #141
New Orleans, LA 70122
Please note that we can only accept paperback books, not hardbacks, due to prison restrictions. Please be sure to place books on the shelves behind the book curtain, not in the driveway or white mailbox. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to drop them off in person. We are always at the space from 4 to 7 p.m. on Sundays, so that’s the best time to drop by if you need help with boxes. If you have a large number of books to donate, we may be able to coordinate a pickup from you. Please email us and let us know how many boxes you have and what type of books they are.