Books we need:
- Check out our carefully curated wishlist! It’s behind the button! Click the button!
- We can only accept paperback books. Unfortunately, prison restrictions will not allow us to send hardbacks inside.
- Popular requests include Black studies and literature, urban fiction, westerns, mysteries and thrillers, horror, sci-fi, and fantasy.
- Especially helpful are books on trades: starting your own business, automotive or home improvement, and resume writing or job searching.
- GED/Pre-GED study guides.
- How to draw, coloring books, sudoku or crossword puzzles, and various hobbies.
- Health, fitness, recovery, and addiction.
Books we don’t need:
- Please DO NOT bring us hardcovers or textbooks. They’re not allowed inside most prisons. They may end up in our trashcan, which makes us super sad.
- General fiction. The above genres are welcome, but we’re normally stocked up on general fiction.
- Books with wire spines, CDs, DVDs, or that are badly damaged. These will likely result in a returned package.
- Children’s books.
- Outdated books. Legal books on tort law from the 70s, AOL for Dummies, or pre-recession real estate books won’t be helpful to the people writing us.
While all donations are appreciated, we unfortunately don’t have the space or time to process these types of contributions. Sorting through and disposing of books we won’t be able to mail can take valuable time away from other tasks. If you have any doubts, feel free to email us with any questions.
How to Donate Books:
Paperback book donations can always be dropped off at any time on the carport shelves at our workspace:
2523 George Nick Connor Drive
New Orleans, LA 70119.
Please do not send mail to this address.
Our mailing address:
Louisiana Books 2 Prisoners
3157 Gentilly Blvd. #141
New Orleans, LA 70122
Please note that we can only accept paperback books, not hardbacks, due to prison restrictions. Please be sure to place books on the shelves behind the book curtain, not in the driveway or white mailbox. You can also email email@example.com to schedule a time to drop them off in person. We are always at the space from 4 to 7 p.m. on Sundays, so that’s the best time to drop by if you need help with boxes. If you have a large number of books to donate, we may be able to coordinate a pickup from you. Please get in touch and let us know how many boxes you have and what type of books they are.